The River
Heiligsheld has always been near a river and I wanted to model the river in a single section as I thought it would be nicer to look at than a river in bits with joins.
The perfect way would be to have it sunk into tiles as I always used to do, but that would mean making tiles and I am already well into this project and can't be bothered with starting a new table.
Now, I have made a river before, for my 15mm fantasy games and I wanted to try and get my river to look as nice as that:
:(
I won't bore you with the details here, but poor planning lead me to making a mistake which I hurridly tried to fix but made it worse.
I then had to wait for the 'fix' to dry and then essentially start again with inferior products.
The end result is not a million miles away from what I intended, though the mistakes are visible and it also took a whole weekend to do the water effects rather than about 3 hours..
IF you are interested, you can read about the journey HERE.
It is quite wordy and picture heavy.
However I did finish it in the end and it is not terrible.
I have also just about finished the river cottage which sits on the other side.
However that is another blog post for the future.
What I will add here are some images that show the set up with the river before the cottage and bridge.
The cottage shown is actually that of Fraulein Pfiezel, I just used it as a place holder.
These images give you a rough idea of how it all fits together.
However that is another blog post for the future.
What I will add here are some images that show the set up with the river before the cottage and bridge.
The cottage shown is actually that of Fraulein Pfiezel, I just used it as a place holder.
These images give you a rough idea of how it all fits together.
The next post should be more of the finished set up but with the actual models rather than stand ins.
Then the bakery I think.. Unless something else pops up and distracts me.
PS: Sorry about the formatting, I have no idea why Blogger does this and CBA to fight with it.







That looks splendid. Just read through your thread on the forum. Despite the trials and tribulations it's come out very well. And doing in one piece was worth the effort.
ReplyDeleteThanks chap, better than some blue felt at any rate.
Delete:D
The river, the whole table, looks amazing. I'm very jealous that I can't have something similar.
ReplyDeleteThanks, great for skirmish, though too busy for a full on battle.
DeleteWhy can you not have summat similiar?
No space in my little house.
DeleteFor set up, storage, or both?
DeleteIt does pack away neatly and is not a full size table, but I am also very lucky to have an entire room for games, that were it not for cats would allow a decent sized table to be left up for ages.
I don't see any flaws at all. It looks great to me. And that village is starting to look amazing.
ReplyDeleteToo kind. Thank you. I think I may need a bigger table.
DeleteThat's very impressive. Not entirely sure what you messed up on though?
ReplyDeleteHow does one create the water current effects in the resin? Wait until is begun drying and use a stick or some such?
You can buy water effects that are designed to be manipulated, this was Vallejo Still Water which should be poured and left. BUT, yes you can manipulate as it dries and it will set not smooth.
DeleteBut I forgot what I did the first time, so I used a brush which looked terrible, then I tried to fix that which sort of worked in places, but not in others.
So I kept trying to fix it.
In the end it looked more like sea waves and I had painted them to try hide the brush strokes.
It looked really bad.
So I had to cover up all the actual water effects with paint, and start over ignoring the fancy water and what I have still has some visible brush marks and is just gloss varnish.
Like I say, not too bad in the end, but not as good as it could have been and took way longer and cost more than what is essential just a small pot of gloss varnish…
Well, after reading your comment (and still having to read about the whole process in the forum) I have to say that the results are amazing. I really find the river awesome and far beyond my skills. This is quite an impressive work, Mike!
ReplyDeleteToo kind sir!
DeleteFirst I am sorry, I missed this post until now.
ReplyDeleteI love you overall feel of the table it’s beautiful, I really get a nice vibe off it. It makes me want to see more I wonder if you going to expand into the imaginary tables around this?
The best bit is the coming to life of the project well done 👏
I am pondering a bigger table so I can put more of the village on the gaming area...
DeleteWell I think that’s a brilliant idea. To save on space you can always redress it too for wider locations.
DeleteSo in this set up which is the main road?
The road that runs next to the Stocks Inn, parallel to the river is the North / South road.
DeleteRegarding the formatting, I always have the exact same issue happening. I know what is happening, the script is thinking the text is part of the picture caption.
ReplyDeleteIt happens when you add pictures to close to existing text. Using carriage returns before adding pics normally avoids this.
Once they happen until recently it was almost impossible to fix.
However recently blogger added a button to remove all formatting on the page in the editor. This at least allows you to start reformatting from the top, which is often the quickest way to fix the problem.
Hope that helps….
"However recently blogger added a button to remove all formatting on the page in the editor. This at least allows you to start reformatting from the top, which is often the quickest way to fix the problem.
DeleteHope that helps…."
OOH I will have a look for that next time.